Posted on December 11 2017
Whether you are completely new to wigs or want to get even more enjoyment from your next wig, you can use our quick and easy wig buyers guide to learn more about the fun process of discovering the best wig for your needs and desired look. There’s much more to it than just selecting the color of wig you want, so take advantage of the details provided below to gain a better understanding of what to look for such as cut, cap size, composition, and color. You’re going to love the way you look in your new wig!
- Choose Your Wig Style
You’ll want to start your wig search by narrowing down your selection by length, texture, and hairstyle. It can be really fun looking for a wig that will help you achieve a completely new look. However, if this is your first wig, you may want to save the extra fun and new style for your second wig, one you might wear for only special occasions. For your first wig, you should consider wearing something that more closely matches your current or previous hairstyle. Staying with what you’re familiar with will make the ongoing maintenance and styling of your hair easier. Plus, many wigs can be styled to look differently, so you can always look into taking your wig to a salon that specializes in wig care or doing it yourself at a later time.
When selecting your wig style, it’s not your personal preference that should be the main consideration. Instead, you should carefully consider what type of wig style looks best with your face shape. Even though you may prefer a certain wig style, the most important thing to keep in mind is which wig will best flatter the shape of your head and face. This will help you determine the length, texture, and overall style of wig to choose.
Oval-shaped face: If your face is balanced and evenly proportioned, you can wear almost any style. Off the face wigs will serve you best. You should avoid wigs that feature heavy bangs or significant forward direction, which can create the perception of more weight in your face.
Round-shaped face: Your best choices are styles that succeed in adding fullness as well as height at the crown of your head. These wig styles include off-center parts. You would do well to wear shorter wigs that feature a swept-back direction or those with lengths that go past your chin. You should avoid chin-length hair with a rounded line that closely matches your face's circular shape, center parts, very short cropped styles and fullness at the sides of the ears. If you wear a rounded wig that doesn’t go past your chin, it will probably make the widest part of your face look fuller and wider.
Heart-shaped face: Your best choices are chin-length or longer wig styles, including hair that’s parted to the side, swept forward in layers around the upper part of your face, and even gently wispy bangs. A chin-length bob may be perfect for you since it creates a balanced look by giving fullness in all the right places. Shorter wig styles can suit you. But it should be noted that if you have a very intense heart-shaped face, you’ll do best with a wig style that succeeds in adding weight in the back nape area of your neck. This will allow you to enjoy beautiful balance between your pronounced cheekbones and narrow chin. You should avoid short, full styles with tapered necklines since these tend to put more attention on the upper part of your face, which can make you look unevenly distributed or top heavy. If the wig creates the look of too much weight at the crown, it will make your face look longer with an even narrower chin.
Square-shaped face: Your best choices for this shape of face include wigs that are short to medium in length. You should look especially beautiful in those with waves or roundness around the face. Be sure to consider wigs with wispy bangs, off-center parts, and those that provide height at the crown of your head. Layers and wispy looks succeed in softening your naturally square face. With more height provided by your wig at the crown of your head, you will elongate your symmetrical face shape. You’ll look lovely with curls or waves as those will balance your straight and symmetrical features. You should avoid straight bangs with linear lines, center parts, as well as styles that are long and straight. This includes avoiding straight bobs that end at your jawline. If your wig does not go below your jawline, then you can also wear a layered bob.
Diamond-shaped face: With this shape of face, your best choices are actually just about any style you desire since the balanced shape of your face will be flattered by most any wig. You’re lucky enough to be able to try a variety of wig styles. It should be noted thought that if your face is more of a dramatic shape and you are more interested in a short wig style, you should consider wigs that provide more weight in the nape area. Wearing these types will help you maintain a balanced look between your dramatic cheekbones and delicate chin. The only types of wigs you might consider avoiding are those with a lot of hair since they’ll probably hide your wonderful facial features.
Oblong or rectangular-shaped face: Your best choices include short or medium-length wig styles since these can minimize the length of your face. For example, you probably shouldn’t choose a wig that goes past your shoulders. If you want to soften the straight lines of your face, then you should look for wigs with layers. If you want to minimize the geometric appearance of your face, wigs with side parts can help you with that. You can shorten the appearance of your longer face with soft and wispy-banged wigs. If you would like to add width to the appearance of your face, then look for wigs that offer fullness at the sides. You should avoid longer or taller wig styles since these will further elongate the look of your facial features. You should also consider avoiding wigs with center parts.
Pear-shaped face: The best choices for this type of face are wig styles that promote the appearance of width at your forehead and temples. This will help create the illusion of a more oval face, drawing people’s attention to the upper part of your face. The wig hair should be styled closer to your head on the sites and at the nape, to minimize the width at the jawline area of your face. You should think about avoiding full and long wig styles that would put more focus on your jawline.
- Find Your Wig Cap Size
The average size of most wigs will typically provide an optimal fit for about 95 percent of wig wearers. However, you can easily find wigs that come in petite and large sizes as well. Keep in mind that most wigs also come with adjustable straps, usually Velcro, which allow you to adjust by up to half an inch to provide the perfect fit.
If you’re not sure about what size of cap you should choose, you will need to use a tailoring measuring tape to measure the circumference of your head. Measure from the front of your hairline, behind your ear, to the nape of your neck, to your other ear, and then match the measuring tap back to the other end at the front of your hairline. Compare your circumference measurement with the numbers below (note: wig sizes can vary a little from one brand to another):
- 19 inches: child
- 21 inches: petite
- 5 inches: petite/average
- 22 inches: average
- 5 inches: average/large
- 23 inches: large
- Learn Which Type of Wig Hair is Best for You
You should carefully consider the wig hair composition and structure/design of the wig cap. Human hair wigs and synthetic hair wigs both have their own unique advantages and disadvantages, so be sure to review the following tips to help you select what’s best for your personal needs.
- Will help you achieve the most natural look and feel.
- Gives you great versatility with styling .
- It will necessitate additional styling, especially after you have washed your wig, which is an important part of wig maintenance.
- You will enjoy excellent durability, which can last you for over a year if you maintain a regular wig care routine.
Premium and Remy human hair:
- This type of wig offers the best quality of human hair available.
- You’ll enjoy less tangling with this type of wig since the hair cuticles run in the same direction.
- These wigs are more expensive since they require more careful collecting and processing techniques, but you will enjoy a higher quality wig.
- You will enjoy a beautiful look that closely mirrors human hair via higher quality synthetic hair.
- Since you cannot use heated hairstyling tools, you will be more limited with the types of styling you can do.
- You can look forward to less regular maintenance with synthetic hair wigs. Plus, you can start wearing them as soon as you get them.
- Synthetic hair wigs aren’t as durable as human hair wigs, but you can still expect four to six months of excellent usage as long as you practice proper maintenance throughout.
Heat-friendly synthetic hair:
- You will enjoy excellent versatility with the styles you can achieve with this type of wig. But it’s important to note that even though they are heat friendly, you should not treat these wigs with more than 350 degrees of heat.
- While these do offer versatility in styling, they can be more challenging to achieve your desired style compared to human hair wigs.
- Tangling may occur, so you need to be careful to avoid this.
- Because of the materials necessary to stand up to higher temperatures, these wigs are the least durable, providing two to three months with proper maintenance.
- Choose Your Wig Cap Feature
Wigs hair is attached to the cap via different methods and constructions. Each has its own advantages you should consider before purchasing.
100 percent hand tied (note: this type is also referred to as 100 percent hand-knotted):
- You can look forward to freely and naturally moving hair.
- Every single hair on these types of wigs is tied by hand to the base.
- These are the best types for those of you with sensitive scalps or hair loss since they are the softest and most comfortable cap.
- You can easily comb this type of wig hair and enjoy great versatility.
- This type of wig makes it look like there is natural hair growing from the scalp at the site of the part.
- Individual hand tying is used for the sheer base but not the entire cap.
- The monofilament can often be found only at the crown, along a pre-defined part or across the full top of the wig.
- You can easily part and style as desired.
- You can look forward to additional comfort with double monofilament wigs since they offer an extra layer of soft material.
- You can achieve a very natural look at the site of your front hairline.
- Every hair is tied by hand to the sheer lace section, but not to the whole cap.
- You can easily style your hair away from your face with this type of wig.
- Many of these lace-front wigs come to you ready to wear and cover your head from one temple to the other.
- You will need to practice extra care since they are made with more delicate material than other types of wigs.
- You can find wigs with traditional and capless construction.
- These types offer the greatest durability and are very affordable.
- Air ventilation helps keep your scalp comfortable via open wefting.
- You’ll enjoy the look of natural lift thanks to the volume afforded at the crown.
- The cap is covered or masked by pre-teased hair at the roots.
- Choose Your Color
You can find just about any color of wig offered along with all of the above options we outlined. Therefore, you should reserve color selection as one of the last steps, after you’ve narrowed down all your other choices such as those outlined above. If this is your first wig, you may want to consider remaining closer to your natural hair color. You can always try new, different colors later. It’s also important to keep your natural skin tone in mind when selecting your wig color. Look for wig colors that will best compliment your natural skin tone, which isn’t necessarily your favorite color of wig.
- Choose the Right Wig Care Products